Here is a great article from a DJ in Poughkeepsie NY, Stephanie writes,
It’s time reveal some of my favorite ideas to make your wedding unique and totally “you,” so that your wedding is an unforgettable experience for you and your guests.
Why is this such a big deal?
Well, I don’t believe ANYBODY’S wedding should be “cookie-cutter” or “run of the mill.” Your wedding is YOUR day, and it should feel like the right fit for your personalities from start to finish.
You want your day filled with unique ideas because it is the ONLY way to make sure it represents YOU. And if you’re like I was as a bride, you want to feel special on your Big Day.
What I realized as a wedding DJ, after seeing hundreds of brides on their wedding day, is that the thing that makes each wedding unique is…YOU.
Now, before you tell me how obvious that is, think about it. What is the one thing that is completely original and unique about your wedding day, that no other wedding day has ever seen or done before?
Your guests have never been at party celebrating YOUR love and relationship with your fiance. They’ve never seen YOU in that gorgeous gown, walking down the aisle, partying on the dance floor.
The secret to having a wedding that leaves a lasting impression on your guests and really feels like “you” is weaving as much of your personality as possible into your wedding day.
Believe me, I’ve seen hundreds of weddings. Including the details of what makes you special and the things you love not only makes you FEEL how special you are that day, it draws your guests in, makes them feel connected to you, and without fail guarantees an unforgettable day for you and your guests. And these things cost LITTLE OR NO MONEY.
The first step to expressing your personalities in unique touches sprinkled throughout your reception is to write down the hobbies, passions, history, and background that make represent who you are.
Then you work that information into the events, music and decor of your wedding so that each piece really represents you.
Some examples of how to do it…
14 UNIQUE TOUCHES FOR YOUR WEDDING
1) Naming Your Tables. Instead of using traditional table numbers, name your tables after a special interest or hobby that you share. Such as…players on your favorite baseball team, cities you have visited together, or types of wine.
2) Newlywed Trivia. Create a list of trivia questions about you and your fiance for your guests to answer. This not only lets your guests get to know you as a couple, it breaks the ice as guests answer questions as each table.
3) Favors That Represent You. Give your guests favors that say something about your interests. One couple gave Pez dispensers since the bride was a big collector. Another gave bottles of mead (honey wine) they had made themselves.
4) Share Your Childhood Photos. You can do this in a collage of photos of the two of you growing up, in your signature guest book, or displayed on your gift table.
5) Display Your Parents and Grandparents Wedding Photos. This is a romantic and elegant way to share your family history.
6) Love Letters. You can put together a collage or scrap book of letters you and your fiance sent to each other if you had a long distance relationship.
7) A Groom’s Cake. Have a groom’s cake designed to honor your fiance’s interest or hobby. A firetruck if he is a fireman; a guitar if he is a musician.
8) Personalize Your Vows. Write your own vows and add personal details like, “I promise to bake cookies with you” or “I vow to watch the game with you on Superbowl Sunday” to let your guests glimpse more of your relationship.
9) Tell Your Love Story. Have either your officiant or your master of ceremonies share your love story with your guests. Jeff and I invite our couples to write a brief love letter to each other to be shared just before their First Dance. The response is always AMAZING.
10) A Photo Montage. Play a montage of photos of the two of you growing up and then together set to music.
11) Invite Your Guests To Perform. If you have musicians or dancers in the family, ask them to perform at your ceremony or reception. (Just make sure they will still enjoy themselves!)
12) Make Memories With Music. Play your favorite songs and artists during your ceremony and reception, or the songs that your family and friends love. Some fun places to use your favorite tunes include your walk down the aisle, your introduction music, and your parent dances.
13) Dedicate a Song. If there is a song that reminds you of one of your loved ones, have your entertainer dedicate it to them. It can be serious, sentimental, or silly.
14) Thank Your Guests. Take a moment after toasts, around the cake cutting or at the end of the night to thank your guests. You might invite them to the dance floor to form a big circle and dance together to a song like “That’s What Friends Are For” or “Friends In Low Places.”
Now it’s time to learn HOW to choose the unique ideas for your wedding day that are right for you.
First of all, this list of ideas is just the tip of the ice berg. Use your creativity as much as you like.
Second, you don’t HAVE to use all or any of these things. But I do encourage you to express your personalities in a way that fits who YOU are, because it will engage and involve your guests like nothing else.
HOW FIND YOUR UNIQUE TOUCHES
1) Make a list of all you and your fiance’s hobbies, interests, and quirks. Are you a sports fanatic? Are you into painting or writing? Do you have any favorite musical artists?
2) Looking at your list of hobbies and interests, write down some ideas for how you can work them into your favors, decor, or music.
3) Pick out your favorite unique ideas and DO THEM.
Hopefully this email has given you some inspiration for ways to make your wedding unique.
Here’s to an unforgettable wedding!